Saturday, September 3, 2011

My visits to Deepalaya


It was 2 months after I joined MDI that I paid my first visit to Deepalaya, along with some 15 odd people from college. It was such a refreshing change from the routine life that I had started leading in the college. The less privileged children in this institution were so full of energy and enthusiasm, that it was in fact contagious. When we went in, all of us were serious management students, who were visiting the place to give our inputs as to how the place can be run better. But having met the kids there, we realized that they expected much more from us than advice and help as outsiders. They mingled freely, talking, singing and dancing with us all throughout the day, as if they had known us for years. The pure joy of basking in their innocent love was visible in the face of each and every Mandevian who visited the place that day.

Since the first visit, I have been to the place twice, and each visit was as memorable, if not more, as the first one. We realized that the children there were given sufficiently comfortable living conditions, and hence decided to support them in means other than material ones. The next time we went, we organized a career counseling session for the elder kids, giving them a picture of all the options available to them once they leave the safe environs of Deepalaya when they clear their class 10 examinations. The kids were very enthusiastic to know what the world outside had in store for them. Parallel to this session, we also had a dance training session for the younger kids, which was totally fun filled, and the kids enjoyed thoroughly. The next visit had us taking along two people from the armed forces, to advice the children about the experience associated with pursuing a career in the armed forces. The kids were expecting a serious session on the armed forces, but were instead pleasantly surprised by the interactive nature of the talk.

We also got to see their independence and republic day celebrations in two of the visits, and were surprised by the professional manner in which they performed. Considering the fact that they had minimal exposure to the outside world, the performances were excellent. At the end of each visit, I am marveled by the positive outlook that these children hold towards life, in spite of the fact that they have been exposed to many harsh realities, so early in life. Whenever faced with some small problem, I think of those children, and how they are bravely facing whatever difficulties arise, and suddenly my worries seem very small in comparison to theirs. Each time I feel lazy to take up some responsibility, I am reminded of the huge amount of responsibility that has been thrusted upon them. Whenever I miss my childhood days of freedom, I think of the joys that these kids have missed in life, probably for no fault of theirs. The fact that they still remain optimistic and cheerful all the time is something that inspires and amazes me. When I noticed a girl saved half a toffee for her friend who was ill, in spite having got just a small piece, I realized the simple, selfless love that these kids shared with each other.

As I watched the kids play around happily, without a care in the world, I realized the importance of living in the present, and taking life as it comes. I realized that by retaining the happy memories and erasing the sad ones, life would be filled with optimism and joy. From the kids I learnt the importance of staying together and sticking by each other in times of need and enjoying life together otherwise

No comments:

Post a Comment